Friday, May 16, 2008

An Introduction on How C3PO Was Started

About one year ago, I enrolled in the Master of Arts in Christian Outreach program at Concordia, St. Paul (CSP), through the Oswald Hoffman School of Christian Outreach (OHSCO). Part of my coursework was to create a practicum that in some way involved outreach. Since I was working at CSP in the campus ministry department, I decided to use that as a platform for my practicum. As it just so happened, the chapel at CSP had a new addition and there were renovations being done to the existing nearly 100 year old chapel as well. One of those renovations was a gigantic screen to be used mostly for Microsoft PowerPoint.
I decided to use this screen to show video clips of popular movies and television shows and connect them to the Scripture lessons assigned to whatever week I happened to be in. And C3PO ministries was born. C3PO stands for Connecting Culture to Christ through Pertinent Outreach. It is a ministry that primarily seeks to reach Generation Y with witty analogies between popular culture and the Christian faith.
My tenure at CSP is nearly over, and C3PO is moving on in a different direction, but I'm not sure where exactly at this point. My hope is that through this blog and other social media I will be able to share what I have learned and my method of developing these connections with pastors, teachers, ministers, and lay leaders throughout the Church universal. My vision is that conversations will begin on how to reach this new generation by digging into their culture and using things they will recognize to understand how the gospel message is completely relevant to their lives.

No comments:

 
Subscribe in a reader